As a follow up to yesterdays post about innovative electric cars here’s a video test drive of the Solo mentioned on the post.
There are many questions one could ask about the Avatar-inspired concept car that Mercedes-Benz unveiled Monday night at the 2020 Consumer Electronics Show. Why did the company think this was the best way to highlight its sustainability goals? How much of the ideas and technology in the car will ever translate to the road? And why Avatar?
More driving safety tips
- Don’t allow children to fight or climb around in your car – they should be buckled in their seats at all times. Too much noise can easily distract you from focus on the road.
- Avoid driving when you’re tired. Be aware that some medications cause drowsiness and make operating a vehicle very dangerous. Learn more about drowsy driving.
- Always use caution when changing lanes. Cutting in front of someone, changing lanes too fast or not using your signals may cause an accident or upset other drivers.
- Be extra careful while driving during deer season.
Focus on driving
- Keep 100% of your attention on driving at all times – no multi-tasking.
- Don’t use your phone or any other electronic device while driving.
- Slow down. Speeding gives you less time to react and increases the severity of an accident.
- Be aware of what other drivers around you are doing, and expect the unexpected.
- Assume other motorists will do something crazy, and always be prepared to avoid it.
- Keep a 2-second cushion between you and the car in front of you.
- Make that 4 seconds if the weather is bad.
- Secure cargo that may move around while the vehicle is in motion.
- Don’t attempt to retrieve items that fall to the floor.
- Have items needed within easy reach – such as toll fees, toll cards and garage passes.
- Always wear your seat belt and drive sober and drug-free.
- Build time into your trip schedule to stop for food, rest breaks, phone calls or other business.
- Adjust your seat, mirrors and climate controls before putting the car in gear.
- Pull over to eat or drink. It takes only a few minutes.
“Tesla chose to unveil this here and now because Musk loves Blade Runner. And to date, he’s made some wild claims about what it can do: out-truck a Ford F-150, outperform a Porsche 911, be “literally bulletproof” and ideally start under $50,000. It’s also “the official truck of Mars.’”
Yes that’s really the new Tesla Truck and it may challenge Tesla fans loyalty. It’s ironic that it’s the official truck of Mars because Musk’s Mars rocket just blew up too. Ominous!
Compare for yourself.
The ugly design appears to have a function. According to Musk’s recent tweets the body material, 30x cold roll steel, is too tough for ordinary machines to shape it.
While we grieve the lack of style brought to most modern design cars the cybertruck might be a step too far. Or not, you be the judge of that.
This is kind of news you need to get hot-off-the-presses, and we couldn’t hold it back.
Elon has been tweeting again and this time it’s not just hot air. Government regulations require EVs to emit some noise at speeds under 20 mph. On the serious side this is a safety need for people with disabilities to prevent accidents because they couldn’t hear the silent cars.
However, there is no direction as to the exact sound and in a twist of whimsy, that the writers at the kicker blog truly applaud, Tesla will offer a few options that are truly inspired. Fart sounds for example.
Another option could be the sound of coconuts clopping, or more cowbell.
No this isn’t April fool’s. Just a car company with the guts to not take life too seriously.
Our staff ran into this little six minute gem that will drop you jaw for sure. Wait for the ice trick, it’s astounding! The rig is modified, obviously, 1100BHP powered semi truck. It’s set in Fursten Forest(Germany).
Big thanks to the mechanics at Tire Kickers for pointing this one out to us. Get your cars inspected folks. What’s your excuse? It’s not the right time? When is it ever the right time?
MILLENNIALS STILL WANT TO DRIVE — THEY JUST WANT CHEAPER, MORE EFFICIENT VEHICLES
We love some do it yourself ingenuity but the commuting public of Indonesia takes the prize in the anything goes category. These are some rides you need to see.
The top criteria seems to be cheap on fuel and easy to fix in a pinch? You decide.
At the Kicker we wish we’d thought this one up, but the we found it at Fun Cage, along with many more worth checking out.